Previous Next
Record 4/7
Description
The Richardson hemlock had reached 19 feet 6 inches in circumference by September, 1943. Henry Wright stands to the side of this photo in 1929. The tree stood in "Richardson Woods," which belonged to Henry H. Richardson of Brookline, Mass., who had bought almost 300 acres of primeval forest north of Bear Pen Mountain in the late 1910s and agreed to hold it until a club, formed by Thomas Harbison, could meet his price of almost $20 per acre. Unfortunately it never materialized, and the primeval forest is no more.

Masa Photographs

Richardson Hemlock
Richardson Hemlock (Masa)

COPYRIGHT INFORMATION ~ When using this image, the credit line should appear in the following format: Image courtesy of the Highlands Historical Society, Inc.